Finding the best washing machine can be intimidating. From Bosch and Samsung to Hotpoint or Beko, the best brands constantly compete for your attention. Yet when you’re looking through so many products with similar features, it can all get easily tiring.
Our selection of top washing machines is meant to show you, at a glance, what each model offers. From basic programmes and must-have features to extra options that will enchant you, we cover it all, without overlooking the potential flaws, either.
Read this buying guide all the way, to get a better sense of what you should get from the most reliable washing machine. Learn how to choose it, regardless of what manufacturer you have in mind!
Best Washing Machines
Best Overall1Samsung Freestanding Washing Machine
Best OverallSamsung Freestanding Washing Machine
Buy On Amazon
Show other buying options
Best For Low Budgets2Hoover HL1482D3 Washing Machine
Best For Low BudgetsHoover HL1482D3 Washing Machine
|Buy On Amazon|
Hide other buying options
|3||Zanussi Lindo300 Washing Machine||
Buy On Amazon
Show other buying options
Best For Higher Budgets4Bosch Serie 8 Freestanding Washing Machine
Best For Higher BudgetsBosch Serie 8 Freestanding Washing Machine
Buy On Amazon
Show other buying options
|5||HOTPOINT 7KG Integrated Washing Machine||
Buy On Amazon
Show other buying options
1. Samsung Freestanding Washing Machine
- Freestanding washing machine with front load and 8 kg washing capacity.
- 62 dB wash noise level, 79 dB spin noise level, and maximum spin speed of 1400 RPM.
- 14 wash programmes with 15-minute quick wash.
- A+++ energy efficiency class.
One of Samsung’s most efficient washing machines, the WW80J5555FC freestanding model is ideal for medium-sized households. Rated as A+++, it features a nice selection of wash programmes, all of which can hold up to a maximum of 8 kg per laundry load.
For handling your essentials, you can either use a simple, daily-wash cycle, or the practical and convenient 15-minute quick wash programme.
When dealing with stubborn spots, you have the bubble soak function that thoroughly cleans even the toughest stains.
Apart from the Bubble Soak technology, Samsung packed a couple of other attractive functions into this mid-sized washing machine.
The diamond drum is certainly an outstanding addition, which, paired with the eco drum clean, makes its cleaning and maintenance a breeze.
With a simple and straightforward menu and LCD display, this machine balances standard programmes with special functions in a way that will cover all your needs.
The quality that Samsung is famous for backs up this product, just like the encouraging 5-year warranty does.
- Great quality for the price.
- Low energy consumption.
- Many and different programmes.
- Special functions for tough stains.
- No hand wash option.
- Some programmes are quite long.
2. Hoover HL1482D3 Washing Machine
- Mid-sized 8 kg washing machine with freestanding and smart connect installation.
- 60 dB wash noise level, 81 dB spin noise level, and 1400 RPM maximum rotation speed.
- 13 wash programmes, including 2 express wash cycles of 14 and 30 minutes.
- 10 years parts warranty and 1-year labour warranty.
Anyone with a mid-sized household will want to take into account Hoover’s 8 Kg, A+++ energy-efficient washing machine. Boasting all the right wash programmes, it even comes with a touch LCD display, One Touch technology, and Wi-Fi connectivity.
The stainless-steel drum has a unique design that facilitates a more effective movement of the laundry, for a thorough wash. The raised dome system and the curved paddles facilitate an increased pressure, which contributes to effective stain removal.
What’s more, the washing modes are perfectly curated and rely on an intelligent sensor that weighs the load.
It only takes 4 minutes from the programme to determine the laundry weight. Once it does so, it automatically adjusts the time and the energy consumption.
Not only you’ll save money without compromising on quality when buying this washing machine. You’ll also pay less on your water and electricity bills.
Plus, you’ll worry less about handling your laundry. With Hoover’s smart washing machine, things are getting easier.
- Best value for the money.
- Excellent manufacturer warranty.
- LED touch display with lots of controls.
- Express wash and A+++ energy class.
- Wi-Fi One Touch feature won’t work with iOS devices.
- Rear hose could use being a bit longer.
3. Zanussi Lindo300 Washing Machine
- Freestanding 10 kg washing machine with front load access.
- 54 dB wash noise level, 78 dB spin noise level, and 1400 RPM maximum rotation speed.
- 14 wash programmes with a 30-minute quick wash cycle.
- Digital inverter motor, Gentle Care Drum, and PowerJet technologies.
The Lindo300 Zanussi washing machine features an extra-large drum and it is rated A+++ in terms of energy efficiency. For a large household, it might be just the right choice, since it can take in up to 10 kg of laundry and offers 14 different washing options.
Forget the instruction manual, one look at its setting options is all you need. You tap a button to switch through its wash programmes.
And if you want to adjust the temperature, the spin speed, or the remaining programme options, you have three other buttons.
The door opens smoothly and wide. The pre-sets are intuitive to use, with LED lights alongside each active option.
While the small LCD display shaped roundly will show you the status of the wash programme in bright yellow.
Just in case you were concerned about the somewhat limited warranty, knowing that it comes with a durable inverter motor should ease your mind.
Built to last, this washing machine requires less maintenance, and will help you save on your water and electricity bills.
- Extra-large drum and door, with wide opening.
- Touch control and plenty of wash programmes.
- Delay timer and childproof lock features included.
- A+++ energy rating.
- Only 1-year manufacturer warranty.
- Filter and drain-down valve are difficult to access.
4. Bosch Serie 8 Freestanding Washing Machine
- Large, 9 Kg washing machine with freestanding installation type and front load access.
- 47 dB wash noise level, 73 dB spin noise level, and 1600 RPM maximum rotations speed, backed up by AntiVibration design.
- 14 wash programmes, AutoStain, AllergyPlus, and Reload functions.
- ActiveWater and EcoBar Plus technologies for water and energy consumption management.
Anyone looking for a top of the range washing machine will have a hard time finding a better one than this Bosch 9 kg model.
Backed by a solid 10-year warranty, it boasts an antivibration design, packs a ton of special programmes, and gives you the most affordable utility bills.
Thanks to the Home Connect, one can monitor and control it remotely. If you prefer the classic interaction, you’ll love the fully-electronic control dial.
And if you’re frequently dealing with tough stains, the AutoStain Removal System with 4 stain options will come in handy.
The EcoBar Plus function does a terrific work at reducing your energy and water consumption according to five different pre-set options.
Though the ActiveWater and the VarioPerfect systems play an even bigger role in controlling the washing speed, water use, and energy efficiency.
Perhaps one of its fanciest, most attractive features, the Reload function gives you the much-coveted flexibility. If you often forget to add certain laundry items, you’ll be relieved to hear you can still add it to the drum, even after the wash cycle was turned on.
- Large washing capacity.
- Lots of smart built-in functions.
- Silent operation with minimum vibrations.
- Allows adding laundry even after you’ve started the wash cycle.
- Comes with a pretty high price tag.
- Some programmes take a long time.
5. HOTPOINT 7KG Integrated Washing Machine
- Built-in washing machine with front load access and 7 kg capacity per washing program.
- 46 dB wash noise level, 73 dB spin noise level, and 1400 RPM maximum rotation speed.
- 16 different wash programmes, including a fast 30-minute daily wash cycle.
- Ready to wash up to 100 of the most common fabric stains.
This integrated washing machine from HOTPOINT has a 7 Kg capacity per wash load, which makes it ideal for small to mid-sized households. As long as you’re ok with its size, chances are you’ll get more washing options than you’ll actually need.
Just like you’d expect from a top-quality washing machine, it features a LED display and a practical mix of buttons and dial knob for controlling its features.
It comes with a 24-hour delay timer, variable speed and temperature, and a quick 30-minute wash programme.
Speaking of programmes, they are all intuitively classified by Care (for the delicate fabrics), Daily (for everyday needs), and Clean+ (for the toughest stains).
While it features no Pre-Wash functions, it doesn’t even seem to need one.
When using the Anti Stain 100, it takes as little as a simple wash cycle at 40 degrees, and it will easily deal with more than 100 stains.
Ready to handle anything you throw at it, this machine will snuggly fit as a built-in appliance, hidden behind a furniture door.
- Versatile selection of programmes.
- Cleans common stains in one wash.
- Features an intuitive digital display.
- Saves you money on energy bills.
- Slightly smaller capacity compared to other models.
- Requires own furniture door.
Washing Machine Buying Guide
The best brands of washing machines don’t necessarily have to be the most expensive ones. From top-of-the-range Bosch to affordable Beko models, there’s a little bit for all budgets.
A German engineering and technology company, Bosch has long won the title of one of the best brands of electronics, in general, and appliances, in particular. A Bosch washing machine may or may not require you to break the bank, but it will provide value for every pound you pay for it.
Samsung appliances run shoulder to shoulder with the Bosch ones. If you prefer the South Korean quality over the German craftsmanship, you’ll pick a Samsung washing machine. It will, most likely, be somewhat more averagely priced, without compromising on its features or reliability.
As a major Turkish appliance and consumer electronics brand, Beko is always the more affordable option. Proud to be labelled as a brand for budget appliances, it sells appliances with great value for the money. And so, a Beko washing machine is always worth the attention.
In terms of placement, you can pick between integrated and freestanding models. The latter option is more versatile, offering various options, from full-size models to smaller, compact, and portable units.
Integrated Washing Machine
An integrated washing machine is meant to sit hidden behind a door. It’s built-in or built-under your furniture, it provides front load access, and it can be easily placed even in the kitchen.
Portable Washing Machine
A portable washing machine is smaller and less powerful than a full-sized one. It’s meant to be easily moved around, from a closet to your kitchen or even bathroom.
Suffices to take it out, hook it up to a faucet, and it will start washing. It is ideal for living in a small house, wherever a full-size appliance isn’t an option.
Twin Tub Or Single Tub
Just like the name suggests, a twin tub appliance has two tubs, one for the washing and another one for the drying part. The single tub unit will handle both parts in the same tub. Each one has its pros and cons, of course.
With the twin tub washing machine, you save water and get much drier clothes, but you lose space and time. It will take up a larger surface in your laundry room, and will require you to manually transfer the clothes from one tub to another.
With the single tub model, you save space, time, and spare yourself from the effort of moving around wet, dripping clothes.
Size & Capacity
Most washing machines are sized at 60 x 85 x 55-65 cm. The depth of the unit varies the most, depending on its washing capacity. A small washing machine, for instance, will have around 55 cm in depth and a drum that can hold 6 to 7 kg of laundry per load. For a small washing machine, check our best small washing machine review!
The large ones have around 8 kg wash capacity. And if you’re looking at a 10kg/9kg washing machine, you can already consider it an XXL option. A washer dryer can be a good choice too if you want to save space.
Noise level is one of those make it or break it points when choosing a washing machine. While the spinning part will be somewhat noisy even with the best models, it’s important you find one that is also silent during the wash cycle.
For your reference, a noise level between 45 and 65 dB for the wash cycle is acceptable. While for the spin cycle, you should choose one with up to 83 dB. Ideally, a quiet washing machine will have a spin noise level closer to 73 dB.
Washing Machine Symbols
If all those washing machine symbols are making your head spinning, you’re not alone. For the most accurate instructions on what a specific symbol means on a washing machine, make sure you check the user manual.
If you don’t have the manual anymore, use the washing machine name and run a search for its manual online.
If you’re staring at the detergent drawers, the general guidelines suggest the following: if it has the I symbol, it’s for pre wash; the II symbol is for main wash; and the flower symbol is for the fabric softener.
For the wash settings, you can use the dial knob or touch display to select them and see what changes in terms of temperature, time, and rotation speed on the display.
A cheap washing machine can cost you under £300 and it will still boast many of the praised features you see with the more expensive models. A large drum around 8 kg, A+++ energy efficiency, and the average 1400rpm are not that hard to get when looking at this price point.
For the top of the range models, however, you can expect paying double, or even closer to £700. The extra price comes, apart from the brand’s popularity, from some fancier features, like the option to add laundry after you’ve started the washing, or a special drum design that removes difficult stains and reduces vibrations and noise.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best washing machines include a dedicated self-cleaning cycle in their settings. If you go for a budget model that doesn’t offer this option, you can do it yourself:
- Set it to the highest temperature and time;
- Add a cleaning formula into its detergent drawer;
- Run a wash cycle.
You might also want to pause it at some point, let it sit for an hour or so, then resume the washing.
When the washing machine stops draining, you must turn it off and unplug it. Then:
- Identify its drain hose and its water supply hoses;
- The latter will be colour coded, and it is best if you turn their knobs counter clockwise, to block the water supply;
- Then, bring a large bucket, disconnect the drain hose, and lower its end into the bucket;
- When you lean it enough for its end to go below the water level of the basin water, gravity will make it all flow out – the water and whatever debris was caught up in there and prevent the draining.
If you can’t identify the drain hose, check the user manual for accurate indications.
To disconnect a washing machine, you must turn off both the power and the water supply before you can remove the appliance:
- Turn it off and unplug it, first;
- Then, slowly remove it from the wall, making your way towards its three hoses – drain, hot, and cold water supply hoses;
- If you see knobs on the water supply hoses, turn them counter clockwise;
- If there are no knobs, turn off the main water supply of your household, and only then proceed to disconnect them;
- Make sure you have a bucket at hand, in case there’s a lot of water lingering on those hoses.
Once you’ve disconnected them all, you can consider you’ve learnt how to disconnect a washing machine.
Just because the days of hand washing are long gone, doesn’t mean choosing an automatic washing machine is an easy task. Lucky for you, you have already been through our comprehensive guide on selecting the best washing machine.
You know what to look for in your next model. You know which are the best brands. And you know better than to let yourself influenced by the price alone. Adding the products that we have reviewed for you, chances are you can make an informed choice right away.
Pay attention to the washing capacity, the versatility of the wash modes, and its noise levels! Everything else is for extra comfort, nice to have, though not a deal-breaker!